Title IX makes it illegal for primary and secondary schools (K-12) and post-secondary educational institutions (colleges and universities); and other schools to discriminate, harass, or retaliate against an individual because of gender equity issues. Title IX issues include, but are not limited to the following.
- Access to higher education, especially in areas of study where women, including women of color, are and have been traditionally underrepresented.
- Equal opportunity and access to athletics, including adequate funding of women’s sports; equal access to practice times, facilities, and transportation; access to scholarship monies; and pay equity among male and female coaches.
- Sexual harassment.
- Education for pregnant and parenting students.
- Employment, including tenure and pay equity issues, and pregnancy claims.
- Discrimination based on sexual orientation.
- Retaliation for complaining about discrimination.
Title IX Services
My law practice includes assisting an employee or student through a school or university’s internal investigation of Title IX claims of discrimination or harassment, whether the student or employee is complaining about Title IX discrimination or Title IX harassment or is a witness in the investigation. In addition, I represent students and employees though Title IX administrative proceedings at the Office for Civil Rights (OCR), including early complaint resolution or mediation. I also represent students and employees at the trial and appellate court levels regarding Title IX discrimination, harassment, and retaliation claims.
If you are interested in discussing a potential claim, please click on the link below to complete our questionnaire.